Heritage

Place Garibaldi

Designed in 1782 by the architect of Niçois Antoine Spinelli, this square marks the abhorrence of the royal road that connected Nice to Turin, then capital of the states of Savoy. The Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre and the Confrerie of the Blue Pénitents was built at that time. The decor of the facades in trumpet-eye was realized around 1800 and the balconies in wrought iron are an addition of the nineteenth century, except that of the chapel. Guiseppe Garibaldi, a hero of Italian unity, was erected in 1891 by Etex and Deloye sculptors.

The Saviour?

It's royal!

Garibaldi Square has not always been called this. Until 1870, the square was named in Niçois Vitour, in tribute to King Victor-Amédée III. The monarch works twice. It makes the road connecting Nice to its capital Turin and approves the drawing of the Niçoise royal square which is the culmination of it.

Location

Place Garibaldi, Place Garibaldi

Directions →